National Museum of
French-American
Friendship and Cooperation

CHATEAU DE

BLÉRANCOURT

Museum building with a 1785 Houdon statue of George Washington in the foreground.

Primarily an historical museum containing collections of artwork and memorabilia commemorating the history of French-American cooperation from the American War of Independence through the Second World War.

The elegant seventeenth-century château witnessed the ravages of the French Revolution and the 'Great War' [World War I]. When the tide of battle turned in the latter conflict, 1917, Anne Morgan, daughter of the wealthy American John Pierpont Morgan, organized at Blérancourt a group of American women volunteers who delivered medical and social services to the local French population which had been severly traumatized by the war. In 1918, the Armistice was signed in a railroad car parked in the nearby woods. Anne Morgan's work continued until the French authorities were able to assume the tasks.

In 1931, Blérancourt became a French national museum on Franco-American Cooperation. The unique collection informs visitors of the American participation in the Great War, highlighting the activities of Anne Morgan's American Committee for Devastated France; of the first American 'fly boys', the Lafayette Flying Corps; of the volunteer ambulance drivers, especially those of the American Field Service.

An excellent background paper by Alan Albright can be found at American Volunteerism in France. It reviews American relief work in France going back as far as the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1), covering later aspects in peace and war.

A remarkable collection of 19th and 20th century paintings and sculpture is displayed in the Florence Gould pavilion, which opened in July 1989. The exhibit brings together works of American artists in France and French artists in the United States, and attests to the richness of a century and a half of artistic exchanges between the two countries.




The Blérancourt museum is 110 km north from Paris. By car, take Autoroute A1, exit 9 (Chevrères), continue in the direction of Soissons, then turn left at Trosly-Breuil.

Unfortunately, The Franco-American Museum at the Chateau de Blérancourt is currently closed until further notice. Interesting archeological remains have been discovered under Château de Blérancourt which delayed renovation plans and most of the artecrafts are in chest somewhere in Château de Compiégne's cellars.

map



This page is sponsored by
The Expédition Particulière Commemorative Cantonment Society.
Its objective is to direct viewers to, the following websites:

BLÉRANCOURT AND ITS CHATEAU

Museum of Franco-American cooperation, château of Blérancourt, Anne Morgan remembrance

The American Friends of Blérancourt, Inc.

http://www.museefrancoamericain.fr/



Return to
Expédition Particulière
page.

Page last updated 10 January 2014.