The Hundred Years' War,
Last Phase (1422-1453)

The map shows regional control roughly as it was at the crest of the English-Burgundian occupation, just prior to 1435 and the Burgundian withdrawl from the alliance. In Normandy, English control was strong and the English considered the region an English possession. Brittany remained technically independent.

To the east of Normandy and Brittany, and generally north of the river Loire [Nantes to Orléans], the English and Burgundians held many of the important towns. However, the countryside remained a frontier.
       Burgundy held firm control over the duchy proper and the duke of Burgundy's lands in Flanders, to the northwest. Burgundian control was spotty over the area spanning between these two focus regions [in brown on the map].

In the southwest, the English held Guyenne, expecially the Bordeaux area, largely by the loyality of the local population along the Atlantic coast. However, the English did not have the forces to occupy or control as far east as they claimed was theirs according to the Treaty of Brétigny (1360).

Return to Hundred Years' War Web Page.

This page created 17 December 1997; revised 17 July 2001.
Comments can be sent to the Société de l'Oriflamme.